Monday, March 12, 2012

a little sew-a-long...

i mentioned in my last post, that i had signed up to cam's lisette sew-a-long...
and last night, having gotten home from work, and knowing that today was a public holiday i decided to make a start.


i spent a good 2 hours trying to get the fold in the right position to lay my pattern pieces correctly, and then another hour or so cutting them out. i've definitely still got a lot to learn when it comes to dress making.



i found the construction of the dress itself to be VERY simple (and i'm a complete and utter novice...)
the most difficult part for me was probably working out the whole binding thing, which way it was supposed to go on, and which bits to press and which way and what to sew together.



the whole binding process was actually explained quite well, it was just that my brain wasn't working too well as it was well after midnight when i got to it and i'd worked all day (and the day before that and before that...) i made a little adjustment as the arm holes were much too wide for me (and everyone else it seems...) luckily i'd read a few posts about finished dresses before i started (like bec's and cam's), so i knew i'd most likely have to take them in.



i even learned a few lessons along the way.
*don't flail your hands around in front of your sewing machine, at 1 in the morning you will most certainly impale your finger on the needle (big ouch!)
*actually look at the way you're supposed to thread the bobbin into the machine (my bobbin cover has a little picture indicating how to do it...). last night i learned that i haven't been threading it properly EVER! i've had my machine for almost 10 years!
*binding, cut on the bias, is freaking amazing. i never understood before, how it actually worked! but gosh, love it!
*taking the time to sew the binding on by hand will make it look a million bucks. there's no way i can sew an even line around a curve.



i was so excited about my dress, i wore it to a picnic today with friends from work. no one believed that i'd gotten home from work last night and made a dress.
made me soooo freaking proud :D

in summary, this is a dress i'd recommend for anyone to make. it's got the ability to fancy it up a bit if you've got the skills, or just keep it super simple and basic like me.
i've got another length of material ready to go so i think i might make a few alterations, pockets in particular!

how has your long weekend been?

17 comments:

Yvette Adams said...

WOW you did so well! It's such a big thing to be able to sew your own clothes. I used to do it a lot as a teen and young adult but I was never thrilled with the fit (doesn't help that I'm oddly shaped!). You have inspired me to sew a pretty dress! I had been thinking about it for months, but you've REALLY inspired me! Shame winter is coming lol.

Cas said...

go you!! that's an awesome effort for someone who claims they can't sew. no way you can make that comment any more, you are a seamtress :)nice work.

Judy said...

Fantastic work Nic!!! A dress in a night thats a mighty fine effort for a great dress!!!

CurlyPops said...

Love it! That fabric is gorgeous and the style really suits you.
How exciting is it to be able to tell people you made it?

bec said...

Well done! I'm like that, I don't want to go to bed until it's finished! It looks great, I love the fabric!

bec said...

Well done! I'm like that, I don't want to go to bed until it's finished! It looks great, I love the fabric! BTW hand stitch binding? who the hell does that? heehee

Karen said...

Well done Nicole, Leisl writes patterns beautifully doesn't she - so you get a really professional finish.
I am super-impressed you sewed the binding on by hand.

ARTwendy ... said...

wow awesome job!! the shape suits you nicely too ... happy yellow & double wow that you made it in an evening!! i'm slowing being more & more encouraged to sew ... clothes!!

Kylie said...

Your dress looks great Nicole! Is this your first time sewing clothes for yourself? Gives me hope that I can do it too... that is, if I ever get the right sized pattern! Love the happy fabric too. Well done.

RobynLouise said...

What a busy bee to make a dress in a night! Great job :).I suppose you'll be making pinafore dresses now to wear over your long sleeved shirts/jumpers for winter :O?
Cheers,
Robyn

Lien said...

I love the fabric! I think I should be making this dress now instead of the passport dress.

Lea said...

I LOVE it! Go you! Gorgeous cheery fabric. You did a fantastic job. I really want to try making something for me this year too.

LionessLady said...

Looks amazing! It took ages for me to cut out my pattern for this too - I had no idea how to cut out grown up patterns. I'm going to rock my dress out tomorrow and see if it gets school mum approval!!!

Anonymous said...

Your dress is so cute. I love the yellow! Well done to you miss!

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

How gorgeous! This is such a lovely dress - I love a cheeky bit of yellow -So glad you got to slip in the 'I made it myself' at the BBQ ... Gold!

Yana said...

great job with the dress! you did well to do it in the night after a full day at work :) agree, binding is great and it does look amazing when done by hand (it does take 3 hours to just sew it on though)

Sally said...

Fabulous! I was considering this fabric today @ spotty. It looks so great sewn up. You've done such a great job with the lisette dress. Yay.